EU stands by imprisoned Belarusian journalists in the quest for democracy
EU Special Representative for Human Rights Eamon Gilmore wrote to the imprisoned media workers and journalists to express his support and solidarity on the eve of the May 21, Day of the political prisoner.
Dear Belarusian journalists and media workers,
On this day, we remember Vitold Ashurak, and call for an enquiry into the circumstances and cause of his death in prison.
On this day also, the European Union remembers your own imprisonment and suffering. We wish to assure you that we continue to raise at every opportunity, all those who have been imprisoned in Belarus, for doing their job as a journalist or for speaking out about the political circumstances in Belarus.
Over the past several months, we have been bringing to the attention of the authorities in Belarus and that of the wider world, the dire prison conditions which you are enduring.
We repeat our call for the immediate and unconditional release of all political prisoners. Your continued imprisonment demonstrates, not the strength of the Lukashenko regime, but its weakness, because it fears the truth and it cannot handle freedom of expression.
I realise that this is a difficult time for you, your family and your friends. I want you to know that your European family stands by you in the quest for democracy. I am confident that this effort shall prevail.
I wish you well personally and I assure you that we will continue our efforts to secure your freedom.
EU Special Representative for Human Rights
Names of imprisoned journalists and media workers in Belarus:
- Katsiaryna Andreyeva, journalist
- Darya Chultsova, journalist
- Ihar Losik, blogger and media consultant
- Siarhei Hardziyevich, journalist
- Kseniya Lutskina, journalist
- Andrei Aliaksandrau, journalist and media manager
- Dzianis Ivashyn, investigative journalist
- Andrzej Poczobut, journalist
- Maryna Zolatava, editor and media manager
- Liudmila Chekina, media manager
- Alena Talkachova, journalist
- Valeryia Kastsiuhava, blogger, editor, political scientist
- Aliaksandr Ivulin, journalist
- Yahor Martsinovich, journalist, editor, media manager
- Andrei Skurko, editor, media manager
- Iryna Leushyna, journalist, media manager
- Dzmitry Navazhylau, media manager
- Henadz Mazheika, journalist
- Iryna Slaunikava, media manager
- Andrei Kuznechyk, journalist
- Siarhei Satsuk, investigative journalist, editor
- Aleh Hruzdzilovich, journalist
- Aksana Kolb, journalist, media manager
- Yury Hantsarevich, journalist
- Dzmitry Luksha, journalist
- Kanstantsin Zalatykh, media manager