Viasna's statement in connection with the start of “special proceedings” and the toughening of accusations against our colleagues
Statement of Human Rights Center Viasna
“This award is a great support to us in our mission.” Viasna awarded The Albie Awards 2022
Alina Stefanovich, the wife of political prisoner and Viasna human rights defender Valiantsin Stefanovich, received the prize.
Harsh sentence handed down to journalist Kseniya Lutskina
The journalist was sentenced to eight years of imprisonment
Viasna to receive Justice For Democracy Defenders award
On 29 September, the Clooney Foundation for Justice and the Ford Foundation will host the first-ever ‘Albie Awards’ to honor global justice defenders
Right Livelihood warns UN Council about Ales Bialiatski's terrible detention conditions
Ales Bialiatski is being held in a dark, semi-basement section of a Belarusian prison, Right Livelihood and Laureate organisation Human Rights Center “Viasna” warned the UN Human Rights Council.
Human rights defender Tatsiana Lasitsa pardoned and released after 20 months in prison
Political prisoner, human rights activist, and Viasna volunteer Tatsiana Lasitsa was unexpectedly released from Homieĺ correctional facility.
Viasna leader Ales Bialiatski turned 60 in jail
Prominent politicians and fellow human rights activists spoke in solidarity with Ales.
Overview of political trials on 19-25 September
Every week the courts keep handing down new sentences and laying new charges against political prisoners. Below, you will find an overview of the news on political prisoners for 19-25 September.
Smuggling and financing protests: Viasna human rights defenders' final indictment gets more serious
Ales Bialiatski, Valiantsin Stefanovich, and Uladzimir Labkovich were charged with harsher crimes.
The UNHRC held an interactive dialogue on Belarus
On September 23, at the 51st session of the UN Human Rights Council, an interactive dialogue was held on the interim updated information of the High Commissioner on the situation with human rights in Belarus.
The list of political prisoners is updated by four new names
Joint statement of the Belarusian human rights community
Front Line Defenders concerned about extension of detention for Nasta Loika
Front Line Defenders is gravely concerned about the lack of information on the whereabouts of human rights defender Nasta Loika and calls upon the Belarusian authorities to immediately release her from detention.
- The UN HRC found a violation of the rights of the mother of executed Pavel Selyun
- Amnesty International: Belarus remains the only country in Europe carrying out executions
- State Department: The perpetrators of human rights abuses will be held to account
- Amnesty International: New death penalty law is the ultimate attack on human rights
- We strongly protest against expansion of the death penalty in Belarus
- Belarus to introduce the death penalty for attempted acts of terrorism
- UN Human Rights Committee condemns execution of Victor Pavlov
- EU urges Belarus to move towards death penalty abolition (video)
- Slovenia resolutely opposes the death penalty in all circumstances
- Swiss ambassador Claude Altermatt: "The trend towards worldwide abolition of the capital punishment is continuing" (video)
- Andrei Paluda on the death penalty: “Without systemic changes, there will be no serious progress in solving the problem”
- UNHRC confirms multiple violations in case of executed prisoner Aliaksei Mikhalenia
- Death convict Viktar Skrundzik executed, state-owned TV reports
- “No more fear they can be taken out for execution”. The Kostseu brothers meet with family for first time after pardon
- Viasna’s Andrei Paluda leaves Belarus, describes detention conditions as inhuman