Leanid Sudalenka: “My arrest was lawless. I guess my release will be as lawless!”
Viasna’s human rights activist Leanid Sudalenka left this message on the situation related to the charges he is facing marked “Publish after arrest”.
Viasna’s Leanid Sudalenka held on criminal charges
Leanid Sudalenka, a human rights activist and head of Viasna’s branch in Homieĺ, was detained last morning, January 18, according to local activist Vasil Paliakou. Sudalenka was then taken to the Investigative Committee’s city office for questioning.
Immediately release political prisoners Andrei Aliaksandrau and Iryna Zlobina!
Joint statement of Belarusian human rights organizations
HRDs call for retrials in cases of political prisoners Dzmitry Karatkevich, Andrei Tsimafeyenka and Siarhei Yafimau
Joint statement by the Belarusian human rights community
Support has no boundaries: how to write letters to political prisoners if you are outside of Belarus
Viasna has prepared the answers to the most frequent questions foreigners ask when writing letters to political prisoners.
Amnesty International: Leaked audio allegedly exposing top Interior Minister official ordering use of illegal force against peaceful protesters must be effectively investigated
Of the string of incriminating leaks showing that Belarusian authorities crushed peaceful protest through pre-meditated human rights violations, this recording – if authentic – is the most damning. It must be immediately, impartially and effectively investigated.
Political prisoner Artsiom Miadzvedski sentenced to three years of “restricted freedom”, released in the courtroom
Judge Tatsiana Shotsik of the Lieninski District Court of Minsk sentenced today political prisoner Artsiom Miadzvedski to three years of “restricted freedom” in an open-type penal facility, so called “khimiya”. The convict was released in the courtroom to await appeal hearing.
Members of the Swiss National Council and the British House of Lords take over godparenthood for Mikalai Dziadok and Stsiapan Latypau
As part of the solidarity campaign #WeStandBYyou of Libereco, Tamara Funiciello (SP) and Lord Foulkes of Cumnock (Labour Party) have taken over a godparenthood for political prisoners in Belarus.
Political prisoner Artsiom Khvashcheuski sentenced to one year in prison
The Frunzienski District Court of Minsk sentenced today political prisoner Artsiom Khvashcheuski to one year in a general security penal colony. Khvashcheuski was found guilty of “organizing group actions which gravely breach public order” (Article 342 of the Criminal Code).
Man re-sentenced to death after retrial in Sluck
At a court hearing held today in the city of Sluck, the Minsk Regional Court handed down a death verdict to Viktar Skrundzik on charges of killing two elderly persons and attempting to murder an 85-year-old woman in January 2019. Three other defendants in the trial were sentenced to various terms of imprisonment.
Belarus: Unprecedented Crackdown
Human Rights Watch sums up developments in Belarus in its World Report 2021
Statement on recognizing five members of Press Club Belarus as political prisoners
Joint statement by Belarusian human rights organizations
- Leanid Sudalenka: “My arrest was lawless. I guess my release will be as lawless!”
- Viasna’s Leanid Sudalenka held on criminal charges
- Belarus denies allegations of arbitrary detention of woman human rights defenders
- Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders condemns persecution of Leanid Sudalenka
- Viasna’s Marfa Rabkova to remain in pre-trial detention until at least January 17
- Viasna wins Polish Prize of Sérgio Vieira de Mello
- National Human Rights Award winners announced
- Ales Bialiatski and Viasna receive Right Livelihood Award
- Right Livelihood Award: End harassment of human rights activists in Belarus
- Repression against "Viasna" human rights defenders: Increase in persecution before and after election
- Viasna journalist gets 15 more days in prison
- UN experts decry threats against women human rights defenders in Belarus
- Immediately release Viasna member Maryna Kastylianchanka!
- HRDs voice priority recommendations to Belarusian authorities within UPR procedure (document)
- Viasna calls to drop criminal charges against volunteer Andrei Chapiuk