Viasna signs joint letter protesting escalating repression against Mehman Huseynov (document)
Human Rights Houses issue a joint letter calling for urgent action from the international community to ensure the life, health, and rights of imprisoned Azerbaijani photojournalist, video blogger, and human rights defender Mehman Huseynov.
EU and COE call on moratorium on death penalty in Belarus
Spokespersons of the European Union and the Council of Europe condemn the latest death sentence pronounced in Belarus
Picks of the Week
Civil Society Champions Award 2018 won by human rights coalition; The first death sentence this year in Belarus; Mahilioŭ human rights activist threatened with expulsion from public monitoring commission; UNHRC considered complaints of 39 Belarusians in 2018; Preliminary dates of elections in Belarus announced
Man sentenced to death in Babrujsk
The Mahilioŭ Regional Court has sentenced a man to death, finding him guilty of killing two women in late July. The verdict was pronounced after a series of visiting hearings held in Babrujsk.
ARTICLE 19: New decree severely limits right to anonymity online
ARTICLE 19 is concerned by the Belarusian government’s newly adopted decree, which severely limits Internet users’ right to anonymity online. Since 1 December 2018 Internet users in Belarus must prove their identity before they can make online posts.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: 2018 (document)
Despite a decline in the overall level of repression in the country compared to the previous year, in 2018, there were no systemic changes in the area of civil and political rights, especially at the legislative level, aimed at the qualitative improvement of the human rights situation in Belarus.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: December 2018
During the month, there were numerous facts of pressure on independent journalists and bloggers, freelancers, arrests of peaceful protesters.
UN HRC registers complaint of Belarusian death row prisoner
On December 24, the United Nations Human Rights Committee has registered the individual communication of death convict Aliaksandr Zhylnikau, according to the prisoner’s lawyer who visited him on December 27.
Chechnya Through the Eyes of Belarusian Human Rights Activists (photo)
Almost five months ago, the Shali distric court in the Russian constituent republic of Chechnya opened the trial in the case of human rights defender Oyub Titiev.
Picks of the Week
MPs approve bill to decriminalize illegal NGO membership; REP activist under excessive restrictions; protesters still face routine judicial harassment
Amnesty International: Two known prisoners on death row in Belarus at risk of imminent execution
"There is grave concern that the only two known prisoners on death row in Belarus, Aliaksandr Zhylnikau and Viachaslau Sukharko, are at risk of imminent execution," Amnesty International said.
Court quashes order to expel UCP spokesperson
The Court of the Maskoŭski District of Minsk ruled to meet an appeal by Hanna Krasulina, a Russian-born head of the United Civil Party’s press-service, who challenged an order by the city police to deport her on dubious charges.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders