Repeal of Article 193.1 is half measure, say HRDs
The Council of Ministers submitted to the Parliament a draft law “On amendments to certain Codes of the Republic of Belarus”. Among other things, the bill provides for the removal of Article 193.1 (“Illegal organization of activities of a public association, religious organization or foundation or participation in their activities”) from the Criminal Code.
Complete isolation: Mikhail Zhamchuzhny under unprecedented mail restrictions
For over a month, political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny has been unable to receive or send letters, according to a reliable source.
Goodbye, Article 193-1!
The National Legal Internet Portal has published a draft bill on amendments to the Criminal Code, which was prepared by the Council of Ministers. According to the draft, it is planned to repeal Article 193-1 of the Criminal Code, which provides for criminal responsibility for activity on behalf of unregistered organizations.
The secret executions in Europe's 'last dictatorship'
When the guards come, these inmates never know if it is for the last time. On death row in Belarus, the only country in Europe that still uses the death penalty, they are never told when they will be executed. And when it happens, it is all kept as a state secret.
Save human rights defender who took over murdered Natalia Estemirova’s work
In a video released today, daughter of Natalia Estemirova, murdered in 2009 for her human rights work in Chechnya, calls FIFA and the international community to take action in saving Oyub Titiev.
REP leaders face final charges
On May 8, leaders of the Belarusian trade union REP Henadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik faced final charges of large-scale tax evasion (part 2 of Article 243 of the Criminal Code).
Charges Against Human Rights Defender Tatsiana Mastykina Must be Dropped
The trial against Belarusian human rights defender Tatsiana Mastykina came to an end in the afternoon of 8 May, but no final verdict has yet been given. Civil Rights Defenders calls on the Belarusian authorities to immediately drop the charges, and to comply with its international obligations to respect and protect the fundamental right to freedom of assembly.
Amnesty International launches World Wide Appeal for Dzmitry Paliyenka
It’s Dzmitry’s 24th birthday on 26 May! Let’s try and get him the gift of freedom.
Authorities ignore observers’ appeal against arrest at Freedom Day protest
In early April, six observers of the monitoring mission co-run by the Human Rights Center “Viasna” and the Belarusian Helsinki Committee wrote to the Prosecutor's Office of the Saviecki district of Minsk and the city’s office of the Investigative Committee to complain about their illegal detention ahead of the Freedom Day demonstration on March 25 in Minsk.
Stop harassment of human rights defenders for their legitimate human rights activities
Human rights defenders urge the authorities to drop the administrative charges against Tatsiana Mastykina and other observers who were arrested on March 25.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: April 2018
At the 63rd session of the UN Committee against Torture, the official delegation of Belarus submitted its periodic report within the fifth cycle. An alternative report was presented by Belarusian human rights activists.
Protesters detained on May Day in Minsk
At least nine people were arrested by the police before and during the protest in Minsk, which was organized by the REP Trade Union. The gathering had been authorized by the city administration.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders