Polish MPs urge Belarus to halt repression and start dialogue with civil society
On March 23, the Sejm of the Republic of Poland hosted parliamentary hearings with representatives of political parties and civil society of Belarus. Participants included, in particular, chairman of the Belarusian Association of Journalists Andrei Bastunets and Chairman of the Human Rights Center "Viasna" Ales Bialiatski.
48 organizations from 24 countries "strongly condemn the continuing wave of detentions and harassment" in Belarus
We, 48 undersigned organizations from 24 countries, strongly condemn the continuing wave of detentions and harassment of peaceful protesters, journalists, human rights defenders, civil society activists, anarchists and opposition party members in Belarus.
KGB holds 20 people in fresh ‘rioting' case
The Human Rights Center "Viasna" has received information about at least 18 people detained by special services on March 21-22 in the framework of a criminal investigation into allegations of ‘plotting a riot’ under Part 3, Art. 293 of the Criminal Code.
Belarus: First death sentence in 2017
Paris-Minsk. FIDH and its member organisation in Belarus Human Rights Centre "Viasna" denounce the first death sentence in 2017 and regret the Belarusian authorities continue to ignore calls to render Europe a death penalty-free zone.
Prison monitoring report: “We cannot help everyone, but manage to highlight violations in prisons”
The Human Rights Center "Viasna" presented yesterday its annual report on the results of monitoring places of detention in Belarus.
Man sentenced to death in Naroŭlia (updated)
The Homieĺ Regional Court pronounced today, March 17, a death sentence in the case of Aliaksei Mikhalenia, a 32-year-old resident of Naroŭlia. This is the first death sentence handed down in 2017.
Four TV Crews Detained on Saturday
TV crews contributing to Belsat were briefly detained on March 18 throughout Belarus; the journalists aimed to report on protest actions announced by anarchist groups thoughout the country.
ODIHR Director calls on Belarus to uphold rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and expression in protests
Michael Georg Link, Director of the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR), expressed concern over the reported fining and detention of dozens of protestors and human rights activists in Belarus over the last week for their participation in peaceful public assemblies.
EU calls to release detained protesters in Belarus
"The latest developments in Belarus highlight a clear need for a broader democratisation process in the country. Freedom of association and of assembly needs to be ensured. Recently detained peaceful protesters, including journalists covering the events, must be immediately released," Spokesperson of the European Union External Action Service said in a statement.
Human rights defender Anatol Paplauny sentenced to 10 days in jail
Anatol Paplauny, Viasna's representative in Homieĺ, has been sentenced today to 10 days of administrative arrest on charges of involvement in a protest on February 19.
Belarus crackdown: more than 200 arrested or detained in two weeks
The new repression of peaceful protesters currently ongoing in Belarus confirms the absence of political change, declared FIDH and Human Rights Center (HRC) Viasna today.
Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders: Stop harassment of Leanid Sudalenka and Anatol Paplauny
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders requests intervention ahead of tomorrow's trial of Viasna's human rights defenders Leanid Sudalenka and Anatol Paplauny in Homieĺ.
- Human rights defenders call to step up implementation of election recommendations
- Parliamentary Elections 2016. Final Report
- Observer in Orša fined for ‘disorderly conduct at the polling station’
- Ales Bialiatski: Civilian control prevents government from downplaying problems
- Miklós Haraszti: Belarus elections 'lipstick measures on face of violations'
- EU Says Belarus Elections Show Need For 'Comprehensive' Reform
- Human rights defenders: CEC’s promises and attempts to show improvements fail to bring progress
- OSCE ODIHR: Belarus elections efficiently organized, long-standing systemic shortcomings remain
- Parliamentary Elections. September 11, 2016. Analytical Report (full text) (updated)
- Invitation to press conference on results of election observation
- Parliamentary Elections: Report on Election Campaigning
- Parliamentary elections: Final report on early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on fourth day of early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on third day of early voting
- Activists protest forced early voting