HRDs demand retrials and release of 3 more political prisoners
Joint statement of the Belarusian human rights community
Political prisoner Aleksandr Gedzhadze sentenced to 3 years in prison
The Frunzienski District Court of Minsk announced today its verdict in a criminal case against political prisoner Aleksandr Gedzhadze charged under Part 1 of Art. 342 of the Criminal Code (group actions that grossly violate public order). Judge Andrei Mlechka sentenced the Russian national to three years in a general-security penal colony.
Three years of home confinement for mother of three: political prisoner Hanna Sunhurava convicted
The Pieršamajskaha District Court of Minsk has handed down a verdict in the criminal case of political prisoner Hanna Sunhurava. She was accused of committing a crime under Article 342 of the Criminal Code (organization or active participation in group actions that grossly violate public order).
“Actions of a man who was not heard”: political prisoner Viktar Losik sentenced to 4 years in prison
Judge Katsiaryna Novikava of the Minsk District Court sentenced today political prisoner Viktar Losik to four years in a general-security penal colony, finding him guilty under Art. 339 and 341 of the Criminal Code, “hooliganism” and “vandalizing buildings and damage to property,” respectively.
Viasna issues new report on protest-related administrative cases (document)
Viasna’s lawyers and analysts have prepared and published a report entitled “Politically Motivated Administrative Proceedings: Standards and Reality in Contemporary Belarus”.
Viasna human rights activist Aliaksandr Vaitseshyk jailed in Baranavičy, goes on hunger strike (updated)
Aliaksandr Vaitseshyk, activist of the Human Rights Center “Viasna” in Baranavičy, was sentenced to 15 days in prison. However, it is still unknown what charges he faced.
Amnetsy International calls to release minor sentenced to five years imprisonment after unfair trial
On 22 February 2021, 17-year-old Mikita Zalatarou was sentenced to five years in a correctional colony after a trial marred with irregularities, for allegedly “organizing mass disorder” and having thrown a molotov cocktail at the feet of two riot policemen.
Critical bloggers Piatrukhin and Kabanau sentenced to three years in prison
The Kastryčnicki District Court of Mahilioŭ ruled today in a criminal case against Brest-based bloggers Siarhei Piatrukhin and Aliaksandr Kabanau.
MPs from Germany, Denmark and the UK take over godparenthood for Viktar Siadou, Yauhen Kurhanau and Mikita Zalatarou
As part of the solidarity campaign #WeStandBYyou of Libereco, Klaus Mindrup (Bundestag, SPD, Germany), Karen Melchior (European Parliament, Radikale Venstre, Denmark) and Lord Griffiths of Burry Port (British Upper House, Labour Party, Great Britain) have taken over a godparenthood for political prisoners in Belarus.
Immediately release political prisoner Tatsiana Hatsura-Yavorskaya!
Joint statement of Belarusian human rights organizations
Observatory condemns new cases of judicial harassment of human rights defenders in Belarus
The Observatory has been informed about the judicial harassment against Enira Branitskaya, lawyer and human rights expert, having cooperated with Human Constanta, as well as of the arbitrary detention of Natallia Trenina, Tatsiana Hatsura-Yavorskaya, Yuliya Semenchanka and Hanna Sakalouskaya, and the arbitrary detention and subsequent release of Volha Shapakouskaya, five members of the Belarusian public association ‘Zvyano’ (“Chain” in English), amid the ongoing crackdown on human rights defenders and organisations in Belarus.
11 new names on list of political prisoners
Joint statement by the human rights organizations of Belarus
- Tamara Chikunova, known anti-death penalty campaigner, dies at 73
- PACE General Rapporteur condemns new death sentence in Belarus
- Man re-sentenced to death after retrial in Sluck
- On World Day against the Death Penalty, EU and CoE call on Belarus to end executions
- FIDH asks Belarus to allow Viasna attend pardon hearing in death penalty case
- Supreme Court quashes death sentence in double murder case
- Amnesty International urges Belarus to stop execution of Kostseu brothers
- Supreme Court confirms death sentence for Kostseu brothers
- Amnesty International: 657 people executed in 2019, Belarus kills at least 2
- Amnesty International calls on Belarus to commute death sentences of Kostseu brothers
- EU reacts to new death sentence in Belarus
- Man sentenced to death in Sluck on double murder charge
- Amnesty International urges Belarus not to execute death row prisoner Viktar Serhel
- EU, CoE “reaffirm strong opposition” to death penalty after new sentences delivered in Belarus
- Two men sentenced to death in Čerykaŭ