Civil Rights Defenders: Situation for Independent Journalists Reaches New Low in Belarus
Belarusian journalists Volha Czajczyc and Andrei Kozel were recently prosecuted and threatened with heavy fines and loss of property because of their journalistic activities and cooperation with the independent TV channel Belsat. Civil Rights Defenders urges Belarus to ensure the safety of Volha Czajczyc, Andrei Kozel and all other independent journalists in the country.
Human rights defenders call to drop criminal charges against BelaPAN director
Statement on the criminal prosecution of Ales Lipai, director of the BelaPAN news agency, and pressure on journalists in Belarus
Human rights activists urge President to pardon political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny
A number of Belarusian human rights organizations have signed a petition to President Lukashenka, asking him to pardon political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny and release him from prison.
Belarus: New low as authorities slap solo LGBTI protester with fine for ‘mass’ protest
The Belarusian authorities have hit an absurd new low in persecuting peaceful LGBTI activists, Amnesty International said today after a court in Minsk found Viktoria Biran guilty of violating a mass public assemblies law for posing alone for a photo with a poster.
Trial of trade union leaders set for July 30
The trial of Henadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik, leader and chief accountant of the REP trade union, has been scheduled for July 30 at the court of Saviecki district of Minsk, palitviazni.info said quoting Komlik.
Belarus Refuses Asylum For Uzbek Transgender Woman
Belarusian authorities have refused asylum to a transgender woman from Uzbekistan and who says she will face torture and abuse if she goes back.
UN Human Rights Committee registers complaint of death convict Hershankou
On July 13, the UN Human Rights Committee confirmed the registration of an individual communication submitted on behalf of Ihar Hershankou, who was sentenced to death by the Mahilioŭ Regional Court on July 21, 2017.
Picks of the Week
Prison authorities still block mail from political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny; Russian police arrest Belarusian anarchist on dubious grounds; 181 professions are banned for women in Belarus
PEN America: Sign petition for the release of Oleg Sentsov
PEN America has prepared a letter to US President Donald Trump asking him to “raise the critical issue of the growing number of political prisoners held in Russia” during his discussions with President Vladimir Putin at the summit scheduled for July 16 in Helsinki, Finland.
Viasna writes to UN Special Rapporteur on peaceful assembly over July 3 arrests
Aliaksei Loika, lawyer of the Human Rights Center “Viasna”, has prepared a message to Clément Nyaletsossi Voule, United Nations Special Rapporteur on Rights to Freedom of Peaceful Assembly and of Association, to complain about the illegal arrest and detention of over 30 protesters and observers on July 3 in Minsk.
UN Human Rights Council adopts critical resolution on Belarus, renews country mandate (video)
The UN Human Rights Council has adopted a resolution on the situation of human rights in Belarus at its 38th session in Geneva and renewed the mandate of the Special Rapporteur on Belarus.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: June 2018
In early June, representatives of opposition political parties and NGOs started picketing a restaurant located next to the grave of the victims of Soviet repression of 1930s-40s, popularly known as Kurapaty. According to the protesters, the construction of the eating-house was accompanied by legal violations, while the choice of the place itself was inappropriate.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders