Picks of the Week
Political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny spends 270 days in lockup; police officers make human chain handcuffing arrested people to one another; UCP press-secretary faces deportation
Observatory condemns harassment of Viasna activist Ales Burakou
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a partnership of FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), requests your urgent intervention in the following situation in Belarus.
Harassment of journalists breaks records in Belarus – nearly 100 fines so far this year
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Belarusian government’s international partners to react to the surge in its persecution of journalists, with nearly 100 fines imposed already this year on reporters working for exile media – an all-time record.
IndustriALL: Unjust verdict against union leaders in Belarus upheld
The city court of Minsk decided on 09 November to uphold the guilty verdict against two trade union leaders in Belarus, which has been widely condemned as unjust.
Viasna protests harassment of its activist in Mahilioŭ
Statement by the Human Rights Center “Viasna”
Minsk City Court confirms sentence in trade union case
The Minsk City Court has upheld today the sentence of 4 years of restricted freedom earlier handed down to Henadz Fiadynich and Ihar Komlik, leaders of the trade union REP, on charges of tax evasion.
Journalists involved in BelTA case face formal charges
Eight journalists working with the tut.by and belapan.by news websites have been officially charged with “unauthorized accesses to computer information” in what is known as the “BelTA case”, Belarusian Association of Journalists said.
Swiss abolitionists ask Lukashenka to spare lives of death row prisoners in Belarus
L’ACAT-Suisse, a Switzerland-based human rights organization working to end torture and capital punishment, has sent a petition to President Lukashenka, asking him to commute the death sentences handed down to Aliaksandr Zhylnikau and Viachaslau Sukharko.
UN HRC publishes concluding observations on Belarus (document)
The United Nations Human Rights Committee has published its Concluding observations adopted following the consideration of Belarus’s fifth periodic report on 8 and 9 October.
November 5 - Stand Up for Journalists!
In Belarus, this year's main threat is the criminal case launched against prominent journalists and editors of independent media.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: October 2018
On October 24, political prisoner and Amnesty International’s prisoner of conscience Dzmitry Paliyenka was released from penal colony number 2 in Babrujsk after serving his entire sentence of nearly 2 years in prison.
European Commissioner discusses EU-Belarus cooperation with human rights defenders
On Wednesday, 31 October, representatives of the Belarusian non-governmental and human rights organizations met with Mr. Johannes Hahn, European Union Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy. The meeting was also attended by the EU’s official representative in Belarus, Ms. Andrea Wiktorin.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders