UN Human Rights Council adopts critical resolution on Belarus and extends mandate of Special Rapporteur (video)
The United Nations Human Rights Council has voted today at its 35th session to approve the resolution of the situation of human rights in Belarus.
KGB closes rioting case, ‘armed group’ charges in place
Minsk, 16 June. The Investigative Committee of Belarus has taken over the criminal case of alleged creation of an illegal armed group, which was initially opened by the State Security Committee (KGB), BelaPAN said quoting the Investigative Committee spokesperson.
UN expert urges continued scrutiny as Belarus enters new cycle of repression
The United Nations Special Rapporteur Miklós Haraszti yesterday described the severe crackdown on peaceful protesters in February-March of this year as revealing the cyclical nature of oppression of human rights in Belarus. He also warned that the trials underway potentially lead to a new set of political prisoners.
Russia: Mass arrests tighten authorities’ stranglehold on freedom of expression
A crackdown on peaceful protests across Russia in which hundreds of people were arrested and numerous others beaten by police demonstrates the authorities’ utter contempt for fundamental human rights, Amnesty International said today.
UN Member and Observer States should call on Bahraini authorities to free human rights defender Nabeel Rajab
We, the undersigned, express our deep concern over the continued detention of prominent Bahraini human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, on the first anniversary of his arrest. We urge you to call for his immediate release and for all charges against him to be dropped.
FIDH: UN must demonstrate its capacity to react
Facing criticism once again, the Human Rights Council must demonstrate its relevance at its June session which opened yesterday. Belarus, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Burundi, among others... FIDH and its members voice their priorities for this 35th session.
Teaching repression a lesson: support Belarusian students to get back into university
Being active in politics or civil society as a student is not self-evident in Belarus. The country has a long and sad history of expelling students from university for their activities in civil society or politics.
KGB drops charges against all Young Front activists (updated)
All six of the Young Front activists earlier charged with preparing riots during March 25 protest in Minsk (part 3 of Article 293 of the Criminal Code) have been notified by the State Security Committee (KGB) that the charges had been dropped due to lack of evidence.
UN High Commissioner slams Belarus over refusal to cooperate with human rights mechanisms
Governments around the world should not refuse to cooperate with UN human rights mechanisms, High Commissioner for human rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein said at the opening of the 35th session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva.
HRDs call for immediate release of all persons arrested in ‘rioting and armed group case’ after reports of torture in KGB prison
Joint statement by the Belarusian human rights organizations
PACE Rapporteur advises against resumption of Belarus's special guest status
The Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy of the Council of Europe’s Parliamentary Assembly has published a draft resolution on Belarus, which will be put on a vote on June 27 at the PACE summer session in Strasbourg.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: May 2017
The month was marked by a continued negative trend evidencing the deterioration of the overall human rights situation in the country.
- Human rights defenders call to step up implementation of election recommendations
- Parliamentary Elections 2016. Final Report
- Observer in Orša fined for ‘disorderly conduct at the polling station’
- Ales Bialiatski: Civilian control prevents government from downplaying problems
- Miklós Haraszti: Belarus elections 'lipstick measures on face of violations'
- EU Says Belarus Elections Show Need For 'Comprehensive' Reform
- Human rights defenders: CEC’s promises and attempts to show improvements fail to bring progress
- OSCE ODIHR: Belarus elections efficiently organized, long-standing systemic shortcomings remain
- Parliamentary Elections. September 11, 2016. Analytical Report (full text) (updated)
- Invitation to press conference on results of election observation
- Parliamentary Elections: Report on Election Campaigning
- Parliamentary elections: Final report on early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on fourth day of early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on third day of early voting
- Activists protest forced early voting