Andrei Kolas and Yauhen Zialkouski are new political prisoners
Joint statement of Belarusian human rights organizations
Immediately release political prisoner Vasil Lohvinau!
Joint statement by Belarusian human rights organizations
Death row prisoner Viktar Paulau “most likely executed”, convict’s sister said
Death row inmate Viktar Paulau was “most likely executed,” the convict’s sister Raisa told Andrei Paluda, coordinator of the campaign “Human Rights Defenders against the Death Penalty in Belarus”.
Political prisoner Viachaslau Papou sentenced to three years of “khimiya” over post-election protests, released in the courtroom
The Lieninski District Court of Minsk convicted political prisoner Viachaslau Papou, who was accused of “active participation in group actions that grossly violated public order” (Part 1 of Article 342 of the Criminal Code). The charges stemmed from Papou’s involvement in the post-election protests of August and September 2020.
Four political prisoners sentenced to 5 years each for plotting riots that never happened
The Maskoŭski District Court of Minsk convicted today four political prisoners, who volunteered at Viktar Babaryka’s presidential campaign, Ihar Yarmolau, Dzmitry Kanapelka, Uladzislau Karetski, and Mikalai Saseu, who were accused of “preparing for riots” (Part 1, Article 13 and Part 2, Article 293 of the Criminal Code) and “other training of persons to participate in riots” (Part 3 of Article 293 of the Criminal Code).
Members of Parliament from the UK, Sweden and Denmark take over godparenthoods of Mikita Yemialiyanau, Pavel Spiryn and Anatol Khinevich
As part of Libereco’s #WeStandBYyou solidarity campaign, Helena Kennedy (House of Lords, Labour Party, UK), David Josefsson (Sveriges Riksdag, Moderaterna, Sweden) and Margrete Auken (European Parliament, Socialistisk Folkeparti, Denmark) are becoming godparents of political prisoners in Belarus.
Palina Sharenda-Panasiuk is political prisoner
Joint statement by the Belarusian human rights community on the sentencing of Palina Sharenda-Panasiuk
Prisoner swallows “metallic objects” to protest torture
Artsiom Anishchuk swallowed several metallic objects to avoid “physical and psychological violence” he has been subjected to during his stay at penal colony No. 15 in Mahilioŭ, novychas.by said quoting the inmate’s lawyer, who managed to see his client for the first time since May 13.
More peaceful protesters convicted in Brest
The Brest District Court convicted today the third part of defendants in a massive criminal case opened after the events of September 13, 2002, when several hundred protesters were dispersed by a water cannon and faced charges under Part 1 of Art. 342 of the Criminal Code.
Human rights defenders call to release 8 more political prisoners
Joint statement by representatives of the Belarusian human rights community
Belarus: ‘Black hole’ for media freedoms after egregious attacks, say UN experts
UN human rights experts today expressed outrage at the arrest, alleged torture and forced confession of social media activist and human rights defender Roman Protasevich (Raman Pratasevich), and the continued crackdown on independent media.
Political prisoner Dzmitry Lukashevich sentenced to 3 years in prison for burning effigies of officials near Mahilioŭ
The Mahilioŭ District Court sentenced 46-year-old political prisoner Dzmitry Lukashevich to three years in a general-security penal colony, finding him guilty of two crimes: Part 2 of Art. 339 (malicious hooliganism) and Part 2 of Art. 368 (insulting the president). The man was convicted of making and burning several effigies referring to government officials, including Aliaksandr Lukashenka.
- Death row prisoner Viktar Paulau “most likely executed”, convict’s sister said
- Supreme Court confirms death sentence for Viktar Skrundzik
- Death convicts brothers Kostseu pardoned
- Death penalty 2020: Despite Covid-19, some countries ruthlessly pursued death sentences and executions
- Tamara Chikunova, known anti-death penalty campaigner, dies at 73
- PACE General Rapporteur condemns new death sentence in Belarus
- Man re-sentenced to death after retrial in Sluck
- On World Day against the Death Penalty, EU and CoE call on Belarus to end executions
- FIDH asks Belarus to allow Viasna attend pardon hearing in death penalty case
- Supreme Court quashes death sentence in double murder case
- Amnesty International urges Belarus to stop execution of Kostseu brothers
- Supreme Court confirms death sentence for Kostseu brothers
- Amnesty International: 657 people executed in 2019, Belarus kills at least 2
- Amnesty International calls on Belarus to commute death sentences of Kostseu brothers
- EU reacts to new death sentence in Belarus