EU Lawmakers Deplore Harassment Of Independent Belarusian Media
The European Parliament has overwhelmingly approved a resolution deploring the harassment of independent media before and after the February 2018 local elections in Belarus.
Time to act towards true abolition of the death penalty, say HRDs
On April 18, Minsk hosted a round table entitled “Legal aspects of the abolition of the death penalty in Belarus”. The event was organized by the Council of Europe and involved members of the Belarusian Parliament’s lower chamber and representatives of NGOs, including the Human Rights Center “Viasna”.
Picks of the week
On April 11 and 12, the Court of the Brest region cancelled heavy fines earlier imposed on Belsat reporter Ales Liauchuk and local vloggers Aliaksandr Kabanau and Siarhei Piatrukhin. The fines were ordered by the Pinsk District Court. All of them were convicted of “violating media legislation”.
Belarus still only executioner in Europe and Central Asia
“In Europe and Central Asia, Belarus was the only country to execute people. The country carried out at least two executions in 2017; at least four new death sentences were imposed,” Amnesty International said in its Annual Report on the death penalty.
Human rights activists present alternative report on torture
On April 5, a human rights coalition presented its alternative report on the implementation by Belarus of the UN Convention against Torture.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: March 2018
Despite the Minsk city executive committee’s permission to hold a rally and concert in the capital on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the proclamation of the BNR independence, the city authorities banned a march organized by a number of opposition politicians.
Belarus: Human rights defenders arrested
On 25 March 2018, six human rights defenders Maxim Kovalev, Tatyana Mastykina, Andrei Krechko, Anna Sakhankova, Anastasia Vasilchuk and Nasta Loiko, all members of The Human Rights Centre “Viasna” and the Belarusian Helsinki Committee, were arrested in Minsk near Yakub Kolas Square for observing a public event
Belarus: UN expert calls for end to rights abuses and deplores State repression
A new wave of arbitrary arrests, the use of the death penalty and violations of media freedom in Belarus have prompted a UN expert to call on the authorities there to respect their human rights obligations and implement recommendations made over the past two decades.
Belarus: Arbitrary arrest and subsequent release of seven observers of Viasna and BHC, and obstacles to the right to peaceful assembly
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a partnership of FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), requests your urgent intervention in the following situation in Belarus.
Political prisoner Dzmitry Paliyenka transferred to prison hospital in Žodzina
Political prisoner Dzmitry Paliyenka, who is currently serving a 2-year politically motivated sentence in a penal colony in Babrujsk, has been transferred to a prison hospital in Žodzina, according to activist Maryna Nasenka.
Report on monitoring the peaceful assemblies on March 25, 2018 in Minsk
On March 25, 2018 in Minsk, events timed to the centenary of the proclamation of the Belarusian People's Republic were held.
Enhance the process to select new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
In a letter to the UN Secretary-General, a coalition of more than 70 civil society organisations has put forward proposals to revitalise and enhance the process to select the new UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders