Priority recommendations on reforming electoral legislation
The civil campaign Human Rights Defenders for Free Elections presents a policy paper on its recommendations aimed at reforming the electoral legislation of Belarus. According to the campaign’s experts, these recommendations are crucial for the conduct of free, fair and democratic elections.
Amnesty International urges Lukashenka to commute death sentence of Kiryl Kazachak
"Kiryl Kazachok [Kazachak] was sentenced to death by the Gomel Regional Court, in southeast Belarus, on 28 December. His was the fourth death sentence to be issued in Belarus in 2016," Amnesty International said on January 13.
Prosecutor's Office opens investigation into police raid violence
Dzmitry Serada, a pediatrician whose apartment was violently raided by the police on August 4, has received a copy of the decision by the Prosecutor's Office of Minsk saying that it opened a criminal case against one of the policemen who beat him during the raid. The decision was taken after Serada sent a complaint about abuse of authority by police officers. The complaint was prepared by the lawyers of the Human Rights Center "Viasna".
Human Rights Watch World Report: Belarus’ human rights friendly rhetoric not supported by genuine improvements
"Belarus’ human rights friendly rhetoric was not supported by genuine human rights improvements in 2016," Human Rights Watch said in its World Report 2017 published on January 12.
Imprisoned human rights defender Andrei Bandarenka faces two more years in prison
Human rights defender Andrei Bandarenka, who is serving a sentence in prison in Mahilioŭ, has been formally charged under Part 2 of article 411 of the Criminal Code, ‘malicious disobedience to the correctional institution administration’. If convicted, he may be sentenced an additional term of up to two years.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: December 2016
During the month, Viasna documented a few instances of the use of forced labor in some districts of the Minsk region, which together with the earlier recorded reports, is evidence of a systemic and systematic use of forced labor in the country.
Front Line Defenders: 281 human rights defenders murdered in 2016
More than 1000 human rights defenders were killed, harassed, detained, or subjected to smear campaigns and other violations in 2016, Front Line Defenders reported today at the launch of its annual report in Dublin. The Annual Report on Human Rights Defenders at Risk in 2016 documents hundreds of physical, legal, and social attacks on activists around the world in 2016.
May the New Year be a 'good one, without any fear'!
Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!
EU calls on Belarus to join global moratorium on the death penalty
"Yet another death sentence was handed down this week in Belarus, to Mr Kiryl Kazachok [Kazachak]. This sentence, which follows the execution of four persons earlier this year, goes against the commitments made by Belarusian authorities to consider the introduction of a moratorium on the death penalty," EU External Action Service said in a statement.
Man in Mazyr sentenced to death
Another death sentence has been handed down in Belarus. Kiryl Kazachak, 39, has been found guilty of murdering his two minor children and sentenced to capital punishment, BelaPAN said.
Minsk City Court confirms sentence for Dzmitry Paliyenka
The Minsk City Court has rejected an appeal filed against a two-year suspended sentence earlier imposed on Dzmitry Paliyenka for his involvement in the Critical Mass cycling protest in April 2016. The sentence has entered into force.
Uladzimir Kondrus sentenced to 1.5 years of personal restraint and forced treatment
The Court of Maskoŭski district of Minsk sentenced today Uladzimir Kondrus, the last defendant in the December 2010 riot trial, to 1.5 years of personal restraint and forced outpatient treatment, finding the defendant to be partially insane, which was taken into account as a mitigating circumstance. The sentence also absorbed the period of pre-trial detention.
- Human rights defenders call to step up implementation of election recommendations
- Parliamentary Elections 2016. Final Report
- Observer in Orša fined for ‘disorderly conduct at the polling station’
- Ales Bialiatski: Civilian control prevents government from downplaying problems
- Miklós Haraszti: Belarus elections 'lipstick measures on face of violations'
- EU Says Belarus Elections Show Need For 'Comprehensive' Reform
- Human rights defenders: CEC’s promises and attempts to show improvements fail to bring progress
- OSCE ODIHR: Belarus elections efficiently organized, long-standing systemic shortcomings remain
- Parliamentary Elections. September 11, 2016. Analytical Report (full text) (updated)
- Invitation to press conference on results of election observation
- Parliamentary Elections: Report on Election Campaigning
- Parliamentary elections: Final report on early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on fourth day of early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on third day of early voting
- Activists protest forced early voting