Legislative amendments further restrict media in Belarus, says OSCE media freedom representative
VIENNA, 18 June 2018 – OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Harlem Désir today expressed concern following the adoption of legislative amendments in Belarus which further restrict media activities in the country. The amendments affect the work of national mass media, internet resources, and foreign media outlets.
Amnesty International: Unprecedented Supreme Court decision to suspend death sentences
"This is a hugely significant and unprecedented decision for the only country in the region that has continued to execute people all these years."
Picks of the Week
Activists protest opening restraurant next to memorial site; trade union leaders plea not guilty; authorities harass environmental campaigners
Financial police raid apartment of BelaPAN director, charge him with tax evasion (photo, updated)
The Minsk apartment of Ales Lipai, director of the BelaPAN news agency, has been searched by financial police this morning. According to human rights activist Valiantsin Stefanovich, the search was conducted by the Department of Financial Investigations of the State Control Committee as part of a criminal case opened against Lipai.
CPJ Blasts Belarus's 'Veiled Attempts At Tightening Censorship'
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has called on Belarusian lawmakers to reject proposed laws that could “further censor” the media in the country.
Picks of the Week
Journalists still under attack; Interior Ministry involved in homophobic row; cannabis-legalization campaigner spends 3 days in jail for fake protest
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: May 2018
On May 20, the website of the Ministry of Internal Affairs published an article with homophobic content entitled “We Are For True Things”, in which the Interior Ministry spoke against LGBTQ+ people and the rainbow flag flown on the British Embassy’s building in Minsk to mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, May 17. The article called the minority “fake”.
HRDs set to monitor implementation of recommendations by UN Committee against Torture
Representatives of a coalition of human rights organizations, which in late April presented an alternative report to the UN Committee against Torture, have commented on the Concluding observations of the Committee following the 63rd session of the Committee.
Amnesty International: Authorities must not tarnish positive steps by imposing new restrictions on freedom of association
Amnesty International welcomes the positive steps being taken by the Belarusian authorities to lift existing restrictions on the right to freedom of association. However, it is critical that this progress is not countered by introducing new measures which would violate that same right.
PACE rapporteurs condemn two recent executions in Belarus
Yves Cruchten (Luxembourg, SOC), General Rapporteur of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on the abolition of the death penalty, and Andrea Rigoni (Italy, ALDE), former PACE rapporteur on the situation in Belarus, have strongly condemned the execution of Aliaksei Mikhalenia and Viktor Liotau, which reportedly took place in secret in mid-May.
EU deplores two new executions in Belarus
Statement by the Spokesperson on the application of the death penalty in Belarus
Supreme Court confirms death sentences for Zhylnikau and Sukharko
The Supreme Court has upheld the death sentences earlier handed down to Aliaksandr Zhylnikau and Viachaslau Sukharko for the murder of three people. The judgment was pronounced after the court completed hearing Zhylnikau’s appeal, while Sukharko refused to challenge the verdict.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders