Belarus backsliding badly on human rights: U.N. report
The Belarus government has returned to a policy of large-scale repression, causing a dramatic deterioration in human rights, according to a report published on Monday for submission to next month's session of the U.N. Human Rights Council.
Yauhen Paltarzhytski released on house arrest
Yauhen Paltarzhytski, a person involved in the case of preparing riots, has been released from pre-trial detention. Before the trial, he will remain under house arrest.
‘Tough and slow’: For the first time in 20 years Belarus reports to UN Human Rights Committee
On May 18, Minsk hosted a discussion of the country’s periodic report on the implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The document has already been submitted by the Government of Belarus to the United Nations Human Rights Committee. The event was organized jointly by the UN Office in Belarus and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Mikalai Mikhalkou released. 17 persons remain in jail in ‘rioting and armed group case’
Mikalai Mikhalkou, leader of a Babrujsk-based club Patriot, has been released from custody.
Brave: Amnesty International laucnhes new campaign to protect human rights defenders worldwide
281 people were killed in 2016 for defending human rights, up from 156 in 2015.
#StopLGBTpersecution in Chechnya and Donbas
The human rights organizations Anti-Discrimination Center Memorial and the Center for Civil Liberties, FIDH call upon anyone who values human rights and cannot tolerate discriminatory violence to join the campaign #StopLGBTpersecution in CHECHNYA and DONBAS by sending photos, video addresses, and pictures in defense of the rights of people who are suffering now.
Interior Ministry disputes moral suffering in prison death case
The Ministry of Internal Affairs has filed a cassation appeal to the Minsk City Court to challenge an earlier verdict by the Zavodski District Court, which ruled on March 23 that the mother and sister of Ihar Ptsichkin, inmate of Minsk prison No. 1 who died back in August 2013, should receive a total of BYN 30,000 in emotional distress damages.
BAJ Urges State Bodies to Provide Info on Patriots’ Case
The Belarusian Association of Journalists filed a petition to the Investigative Committee, the General prosecutor’s office and the KGB, demanding to hold a press conference for all mass media and present official information concerning the investigation into the criminal cases widely discussed lately, the so-called cases of “Bely Legion” and the “case of patriots”.
Viasna still views Ministry of Justice’s decision on registration as predictable
The relevance of the issue is due to the preparation of an alternative report to the United Nations Human Rights Committee currently done by a coalition of human rights organizations. The HRC experts included a request for clarification of the situation with the refusal to register the Human Rights Center "Viasna" in the list of issues to be addressed in the framework of Belarus’ reporting to the Committee.
18 persons still in custody in ‘rioting case’
According to latest reports, 18 persons remain in custody in the case of ‘preparing mass riots’, as of May 10. All of them have been charged under Part 3 of Article 293 of the Criminal Code (preparing riots).
OSCE Denounces Execution In Belarus
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) has denounced the recent execution of a man in Belarus, the only country in Europe which still applies the death penalty.
EU 'reaffirms its strong opposition to capital punishment' after new execution in Belarus
Another execution has taken place in Belarus: that of Siarhei Vostrykau. The European Union again reaffirms its strong opposition to capital punishment in all circumstances.
- Human rights defenders call to step up implementation of election recommendations
- Parliamentary Elections 2016. Final Report
- Observer in Orša fined for ‘disorderly conduct at the polling station’
- Ales Bialiatski: Civilian control prevents government from downplaying problems
- Miklós Haraszti: Belarus elections 'lipstick measures on face of violations'
- EU Says Belarus Elections Show Need For 'Comprehensive' Reform
- Human rights defenders: CEC’s promises and attempts to show improvements fail to bring progress
- OSCE ODIHR: Belarus elections efficiently organized, long-standing systemic shortcomings remain
- Parliamentary Elections. September 11, 2016. Analytical Report (full text) (updated)
- Invitation to press conference on results of election observation
- Parliamentary Elections: Report on Election Campaigning
- Parliamentary elections: Final report on early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on fourth day of early voting
- Parliamentary elections: Analytical report on third day of early voting
- Activists protest forced early voting