FIDH asks Belarus to allow Viasna attend pardon hearing in death penalty case
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) has written to the Belarusian authorities urging them to allow Valiantsin Stefanovich, Viasna human rights defender and FIDH vice-president, to attend the hearing of the petition for pardon filed with the presidential commission in the case of the death row prisoners Kostseu brothers.
Human rights groups call to release Babaryka campaign activists
The human rights organizations of Belarus insist on the immediate and unconditional release of Alena Karahachava and Dzmitry Karak, members of Viktar Babaryka’s campaign team.
Amnesty International calls to release veteran activist Pavel Seviarynets
Amnesty International has launched an urgent action forcing the Belarusian authorities to release known opposition activist Pavel Seviarynets who is reportedly ill-treated while serving 75 days of administrative detention.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: June 2020
The election campaign is taking place against the background of continuous repressions, in an atmosphere of intimidation of society. In June, the overall human rights situation in the country deteriorated sharply.
UN experts demand end to crackdown on protesters in Belarus ahead of elections
UN experts today demanded that Belarus refrains from violence against peaceful protesters ahead of 9 August presidential elections. They urged the Government to abandon its policy of arbitrary arrests, violence and intimidation against civil society activists.
Supreme Court quashes death sentence in double murder case
The Supreme Court has overturned a death sentence earlier handed down to Viktar Skrundzik, 29, on charges of involvement in the murder of two elderly people near the city of Sluck in January 2019. The case will sent for a re-trial at the Minsk Regional Court.
Viasna condemns persecution of opposition leader Statkevich as politically motivated
Mikalai Statkevich, opposition politician, former presidential candidate and ex-political prisoner, is facing criminal charges of “grave breach of public order” (Part 1, Art. 342 of the Criminal Code), his wife Maryna Adamovich said.
We call to stop repressions and pressure on civil society
Statement of Working Group of Assembly of Pro-Democratic NGOs of Belarus
Amnesty International calls Tsikhanouski, Babaryka, associates and bloggers prisoners of conscience
The Belarusian authorities “must end politically motivated prosecutions, intimidation, harassment and reprisals against Alyaksandr Lukashenka’s opponents and their supporters, civil society activists and independent media,” Amnesty International said today.
Amnesty International: Bloggers and activists arrested in purge ahead of the presidential election must be released
The Belarusian authorities are carrying out a full-scale purge of dissenting voices, using repressive laws to stifle criticism ahead of the elections, where President Alyaksandr Lukashenka is running for the sixth consecutive term. Opposition candidates, supporters, and independent media have faced arbitrary arrest, hefty fines, and incarceration. Now those active on social media are being targeted.
2020 Presidential Election: Report on the formation of precinct election commissions (document)
The absence of legal guarantees for equal representation in the election commissions of all political entities participating in the elections, as before, resulted in an arbitrary and discriminatory approach to opposition parties and movements.
Four critical bloggers charged in Tsikhanouski case
Four bloggers known for their criticism of the current government have been charged under Art. 342 of the Criminal Code (group actions that grossly disturb public order) and are facing up to three years in prison
- Human rights groups call to release Babaryka campaign activists
- Viasna condemns persecution of opposition leader Statkevich as politically motivated
- We call to stop repressions and pressure on civil society
- Amnesty International calls Tsikhanouski, Babaryka, associates and bloggers prisoners of conscience
- Four critical bloggers charged in Tsikhanouski case
- HRHF: Crackdown by Belarusian Authorities on Opposition Figures, Peaceful Protesters, and Journalists
- Viktar Babaryka charged in criminal case
- Belarusian human rights defenders call to immediately release Viktar Babaryka and members of his nomination group
- Presidential nominee Viktar Babaryka, campaign chief detained in new criminal case (updated)
- Siarhei Tsikhanouski facing new charge of “obstructing elections”
- Andrei Novikau called eighth political prisoner in Tsikhanouski case
- HRDs insist on immediate release of all activists charged under Article 342 of the Criminal Code
- Siarhei Tsikhanouski and supporters face formal charges
- Release Siarhei Tsikhanouski!
- Political prisoner Pilip Shaurou walks free after mild sentence