Picks of the Week
Human rights defender Leanid Sudalenka awarded French Human Rights Prize; Former political prisoner Dzmitry Paliyenka will stand two more administrative trials; police in Hrodna use an array of illegal means to extort confession
Belarus: Amnesty International condemns execution of two more prisoners
Last week, the families of Siamion Berazhnoy and Ihar Hershankou confirmed to the Belarusian civil society organisation Human Rights Centre Viasna that they have been officially informed of the executions. Also according to information from Viasna the men were likely executed on the night of 19-20 November.
Human Rights Situation in Belarus: November 2018
On November 27, human rights defenders learned about the execution of death row inmates Ihar Hershankou and Siamion Berazhnoy.
Picks of the Week
One journalist remains charged in "BelTA case"; ex-political prisoner Dzmitry Paliyenka facing new judicial harassment; disabled priest wrongly detained in Minsk.
EU, CoE, PACE, Amnesty International condemn executions in Belarus (updated)
Brussels and Strasbourg have released official comments on the recent execution of two death row prisoners in Belarus, Siamion Berazhnoy and Ihar Hershankou.
Belarus executes two more prisoners (updated)
Death row prisoners Siamion Berazhnoy and Ihar Hershankou have been executed by shooting, according to information received from the prisoners' families.
Investigators drop charges against more journalists in “BelTA case” (updated)
On November 26, the Investigative Committee stopped criminal proceedings against tut.by editor Uliyana Babayed and BelaPAN political analyst Tatsiana Karaviankova, after they covered financial losses to the government-owned BelTA news agency.
Three days in Chechnya: mission of solidarity with Oyub Titiev
Last week, Chairman of the Human Rights Center "Viasna" Ales Bialiatski and human rights activist Siarhei Sys visited Chechnya to witness the trial of Oyub Titiev, head of Memorial’s Grozny branch, which has been underway for four months in the town of Shali. The human rights activist is accused of illegal possession of drugs and may be imprisoned to 10 years.
BelTA case: two journalists discharged, tut.by chief editor faces graver charges
Pauliuk Bykouski, Deutsche Welle reporter in Belarus, has been exempted from criminal charges of illegal access to the closed news feed of the government-owned BelTA agency, and will be tried on administrative charges, instead. Criminal charges have also been dropped against Uladzislau Kuletski, editor of the realt.by website.
“Stopping more brutal affronts and violations” in Belarus
Reflecting on his six years as UN Special Rapporteur on Belarus, as his tenure come to an end, Miklós Haraszti recalls “fighting an uphill battle” in the mandate, but how ultimately it has ensured international scrutiny of the human rights situation and provided a bulwark against some of the worst violations.
Picks of the Week
Political prisoner Mikhail Zhamchuzhny spends 270 days in lockup; police officers make human chain handcuffing arrested people to one another; UCP press-secretary faces deportation
Observatory condemns harassment of Viasna activist Ales Burakou
The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, a partnership of FIDH and the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), requests your urgent intervention in the following situation in Belarus.
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders