Picks of the week
Critical blogger cleared of criminal charges; believers to stand trial for saying prayers outside President's office; HRDs question grounds for prosecution of ex-prisoner of conscience
President sets parliamentary elections for early November
The parliamentary elections will be held on November 7, Aliaksandr Lukashenka said today when addressing Parliament with an annual speech.
Critical blogger awarded heavy fine in police defamation trial
Blogger Siarhei Piatrukhin has been found guilty of slander and insult in a trial that was completed today in Brest.
Michel Forst: “I’m sure I’ll find ways to protect human rights defenders until the end of my life”
On April 16, Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, met with representatives of the Belarusian human rights community as part of his academic visit to Minsk.
Viasna member detained among protests in Brest
At least 10 people, including human rights activist Uladzimir Vialichkin, were arrested on Friday in Brest for their alleged involvement in a series of rallies protesting the construction of a battery factory, which local environmental groups view as a potential hazard for the city.
Picks of the week
Human rights defenders not allowed to observe the trial of critical blogger in Brest; Unification Church member threatened with deportation on dubious grounds; independent trade union under pressure in Salihorsk; man in Hrodna facing prison for sharing Rammstein video
OSCE Representative denounces search of Belsat
VIENNA, 10 April 2019 – The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Harlem Désir, denounced the search conducted on 9 April in the editorial office of the Belsat TV channel in Minsk, Belarus. He called on the authorities to exercise restraint in bringing libel charges against media and journalists, and reiterated his call on the authorities to decriminalize defamation.
Amnesty International 2018 death penalty report: Belarus still last executioner in Europe
Belarus executed four persons in 2018, as compared to two executions in 2017, Amnesty International said in an annual death penalty report. Aliaksei Mikhalenya and Viktar Liotau were executed in May, and Ihar Hershankou and Siamion Berazhnoy in November.
Belsat TV office raided by police
Police officers have searched the Minsk-based office of the TV channel Belsat, Belarusian Association of Journalists said.
Dzmitry Paliyenka facing triple charge
Former political prisoner Dzmitry Paliyenka, who was arrested on March 20 on suspicion of committing a crime under Part 3, Art. 339 of the Criminal Code (especially malicious hooliganism), has been eventually formally charged, according to the activist’s friend Maryna Kasinerava.
15 detained in Kurapaty confrontation
At least 15 persons were arrested yesterday during a spontaneous protest in the Minsk-based Kurapaty forest, after opposition activists attempted to prevent the demolition of several dozen wooden crosses near the site of Stalin-era mass executions.
Immediately stop prosecution of blogger Siarhei Piatrukhin
Joint statement by human rights and other civil society organizations
- Reporters Without Borders: Journalists, bloggers barred from vote count in Belarus
- Local elections. Final report
- EU Urges Belarus To Undertake 'Serious' Electoral Reform
- Electoral system of Belarus requires urgent reanimation
- Report on monitoring the phase of election campaigning
- HRDs to present results of monitoring local elections
- Report on the registration of candidates for deputies of local councils
- Denying registration to opposition candidates aims at securing desired turnout
- Report on monitoring the formation of precinct election commissions
- Report on the results of monitoring the registration of nomination groups
- Monitoring report on the formation of district election commissions
- Monitoring report on the formation of territorial election commissions
- Human rights activists launch campaign of monitoring local elections
- Fact sheet on the press conference by the campaign “Human Rights Defenders For Free Elections”
- Local elections on the background of shelved electoral changes — press conference by human rights defenders