Political prisoner Artsiom Miadzvedski sentenced to three years of “restricted freedom”, released in the courtroom
Judge Tatsiana Shotsik of the Lieninski District Court of Minsk sentenced today political prisoner Artsiom Miadzvedski to three years of “restricted freedom” in an open-type penal facility, so called “khimiya”. The convict was released in the courtroom to await appeal hearing.
Members of the Swiss National Council and the British House of Lords take over godparenthood for Mikalai Dziadok and Stsiapan Latypau
As part of the solidarity campaign #WeStandBYyou of Libereco, Tamara Funiciello (SP) and Lord Foulkes of Cumnock (Labour Party) have taken over a godparenthood for political prisoners in Belarus.
Political prisoner Artsiom Khvashcheuski sentenced to one year in prison
The Frunzienski District Court of Minsk sentenced today political prisoner Artsiom Khvashcheuski to one year in a general security penal colony. Khvashcheuski was found guilty of “organizing group actions which gravely breach public order” (Article 342 of the Criminal Code).
Man re-sentenced to death after retrial in Sluck
At a court hearing held today in the city of Sluck, the Minsk Regional Court handed down a death verdict to Viktar Skrundzik on charges of killing two elderly persons and attempting to murder an 85-year-old woman in January 2019. Three other defendants in the trial were sentenced to various terms of imprisonment.
Belarus: Unprecedented Crackdown
Human Rights Watch sums up developments in Belarus in its World Report 2021
Statement on recognizing five members of Press Club Belarus as political prisoners
Joint statement by Belarusian human rights organizations
Belarus denies allegations of arbitrary detention of woman human rights defenders
The Belarusian government has replied to a October 23 joint letter by a number of UN experts concerning the alleged arbitrary detention of and judicial proceedings against woman human rights defenders Marina Dubina, Irina Sukhiy, and Maria Rabkova.
The 2021 World Ice Hockey Championship has no place in Belarus
Joint press release by FIDH – International Federation for Human Rights and the Human Rights Center "Viasna"
Members of the German Bundestag take over godparenthood for Yury Bialko and David Mastsitski
As part of the solidarity campaign #WeStandBYyou of Libereco, Christoph Matschie (SPD) and Alexander Krauß (CDU) have taken over a godparenthood for political prisoners in Belarus.
9 new political prisoners in Belarus
Joint statement by the human rights organizations of Belarus
Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders condemns persecution of Leanid Sudalenka
The Observatory has been informed by the Human Rights Center “Viasna” about the judicial harassment of Leanid Sudalenka, lawyer of the Homieĺ (Gomel) branch of the HRC "Viasna".
Human Rights Situation in Belarus in 2020. Analytical Review by Viasna (document)
The 2020 repressions are unprecedented for the entire history of Belarus and testify to the profound human rights crisis in the country, which has led to the international isolation of Belarus and repeated sanctions by the EU, the U.S. and the UK.
- Belarus denies allegations of arbitrary detention of woman human rights defenders
- Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders condemns persecution of Leanid Sudalenka
- Viasna’s Marfa Rabkova to remain in pre-trial detention until at least January 17
- Viasna wins Polish Prize of Sérgio Vieira de Mello
- National Human Rights Award winners announced
- Ales Bialiatski and Viasna receive Right Livelihood Award
- Right Livelihood Award: End harassment of human rights activists in Belarus
- Repression against "Viasna" human rights defenders: Increase in persecution before and after election
- Viasna journalist gets 15 more days in prison
- UN experts decry threats against women human rights defenders in Belarus
- Immediately release Viasna member Maryna Kastylianchanka!
- HRDs voice priority recommendations to Belarusian authorities within UPR procedure (document)
- Viasna calls to drop criminal charges against volunteer Andrei Chapiuk
- Salihorsk human rights activist sentenced to 10 days in prison
- Viasna site still on blacklist