Happy birthday, Ales!
Today Ales Bialiatski, founder and leader of the Human Rights Center "Viasna", celebrates his birthday.
14 new political prisoners
Joint statement by the Belarusian human rights community
Increasingly severe restrictions on civic space and fundamental freedoms: UN hosts interactive dialogue on Belarus
The human rights situation in Belarus has continued to worsen in 2021, Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said in her statement as part of an Interactive Dialogue on the interim oral update of OHCHR on the situation of human rights in Belarus within the 48th session of the Human Rights Council.
Happy birthday! Human rights activists from different countries congratulate Leanid Sudalenka on his 55th anniversary
Today, September 23, human rights activist Leanid Sudalenka, who is now behind bars, turns 55. And today Leanid is receiving congratulations from his colleagues – human rights activists from different countries and organizations.
MPs from Germany, the Czech Republic and the Netherlands adopt political prisoners Uladzimir and Nadzeya Kalach, Dzmitry Panko and Uladzislau Makavetski
As part of Libereco’s #WeStandBYyou solidarity campaign, Helmut Scholz (Germany, European Parliament, Die Linke), Tomáš Martínek (Czech Republic, Poslanecká sněmovna Parlamentu, Pirate Party) and Thijs Reuten (Netherlands, European Parliament, Partij van de Arbeid) are taking over godparenthoods of political prisoners in Belarus.
2 political prisoners walk free after ‘home confinement’ verdicts
Political prisoners Rastsislau Shavel and Pavel Yaitski have been sentenced to three and two years of restricted freedom (home confinement), respectively, after they were found guilty of involvement in “group actions that grossly violate public order” (Art. 342 of the Criminal Code).
“Dark things are done behind closed doors”: Leanid Sudalenka writes about his trial
Viasna’s office in Homieĺ published excerpts from the letters human rights defender Leanid Sudalenka has sent to a local activist Vasil Paliakou, which reveal some details about the closed trial currently underway at the Centraĺny District Court.
Political prisoner Artur Khatsko sentenced to 2 years in prison
The Zavodski District Court of Minsk found Artur Khatsko guilty of “organizing or actively participating in group actions that grossly violate public order” (Article 342 of the Criminal Code).
Ukrainian citizen jailed over post-election protests
Mikhail Ferenets, a Ukrainian national on the list of Belarusian political prisoners, has been sentenced to 3 years in prison for his role in the post-election protests of late 2020.
#FreeViasna: News digest on imprisoned human rights defenders of Viasna
On September 17, dozens of Belarusian and international human rights groups launched #FreeViasna, the campaign of solidarity with the imprisoned human rights activists of Viasna. Here’s the latest news about the Viasna members held behind bars.
Babaryka’s campaign coordinator sentenced to 7 ½ years in prison
The Čavusy District Court handed down a verdict in the case of Uladzimir Dudarau, a political prisoner and former deputy chairman of the Mahilioŭ city executive committee. In 2020, Dudarau coordinated the work of Viktar Babaryka’s presidential campaign in the Mahilioŭ region.
Russian national sent to prison for calling Lukashenka hijacker
Iryna Vikkholm, a Russian citizen and political prisoner, has been sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment a general-security penal colony, after the Maskoŭski Court in Brest found her guilty of “slander against the president” (Article 367 of the Criminal Code of Belarus).
- Death convict Viktar Skrundzik executed, state-owned TV reports
- “No more fear they can be taken out for execution”. The Kostseu brothers meet with family for first time after pardon
- Viasna’s Andrei Paluda leaves Belarus, describes detention conditions as inhuman
- Death penalty in Belarus in the context of global justice. Is abolition possible?
- EU deplores likely execution of Viktar Paulau
- Death row prisoner Viktar Paulau “most likely executed”, convict’s sister said
- Supreme Court confirms death sentence for Viktar Skrundzik
- Death convicts brothers Kostseu pardoned
- Death penalty 2020: Despite Covid-19, some countries ruthlessly pursued death sentences and executions
- Tamara Chikunova, known anti-death penalty campaigner, dies at 73
- PACE General Rapporteur condemns new death sentence in Belarus
- Man re-sentenced to death after retrial in Sluck
- On World Day against the Death Penalty, EU and CoE call on Belarus to end executions
- FIDH asks Belarus to allow Viasna attend pardon hearing in death penalty case
- Supreme Court quashes death sentence in double murder case