Mother sends fresh appeal to KGB chief over Kavalyow`s jail notes

2012 2012-07-16T12:20:04+0300 1970-01-01T03:00:00+0300 en

The mother of Uladzislaw Kavalyow, one of the two young men executed in the subway bombing case this past spring, has sent a fresh appeal to the chief of the Committee for State Security (KGB) over the notes that her son made during and after his trial, reported the Belarus service of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty on Saturday. 

After the execution of the young man, Lyubow Kavalyow repeatedly requested the KGB detention center to give her the notes. In May, she sent a complaint to KGB chief Vadzim Zaytsaw about the jail administration, but he never replied to it. 

“After the execution, they sent me my son’s stuff. But a yellow folder, which he always had with him at the court proceedings to keep his notes in, arrived to me empty,” Ms. Kavalyow told RFE/RL. 

Ms. Kavalyow said that she only received a phone call on June 19 from an unknown woman who introduced herself as an officer of the KGB jail. The woman said that they had sent Mr. Kavalyow`s all things to the family and had nothing left. 

“But it is impossible to have a look at an ID on the phone,” said Ms. Kavalyow. “I can’t take a word of someone only because she has introduced herself as a KGB jail officer. I once delivered a food parcel for Ulad [Uladzislaw], which they later said was given to him... But after his execution, they sent me back the food, which was not even unpacked. They lied to me even about such a trifle thing. That’s why I`ve sent another complaint. I want to get a detailed answer in writing about the whereabouts of the notes.” 

“I would like to note that I never do things by halves,” Ms. Kavalyow says in her appeal to the KGB chief. “I am not satisfied with hollow cop-outs and want to receive an answer to the point." As a result of their trial held between September 15 and November 30, Mr. Kavalyow and his friend Dzmitry Kanavalaw were convicted of two 2005 bomb explosions in Vitsyebsk, a bomb attack during an open-air Independence Day concert in Minsk in July 2008 and the subway bombing in April 2011. The Supreme Court of Belarus found Mr. Kanavalaw guilty of committing the explosions and Mr. Kavalyow was found guilty of being accomplice to the crimes. Both were sentenced to death. 

Mr. Kavalyow applied for a presidential pardon in early December, while Mr. Kanavalaw decided against doing so, according to authorities. 

On March 14, it became known that Alyaksandr Lukashenka had denied clemency to the men. Three days later, the ONT television network announced that Messrs. Kavalyow and Kanavalaw had been executed.