Freelance journalist gets fined 60 basic units

2015 2015-06-04T17:52:11+0300 2015-06-04T17:53:22+0300 en
Journalist Alina Litvinchuk

Journalist Alina Litvinchuk

Freelance journalist Alina Litvinchuk has been sentenced to a fine of 60 basic units by the Leninski District Court of Brest.

The trial took place June 3, though the journalist wasn't duly informed about it (he received only and SMS-message about it). Nevertheless, she decided to attend it.

"The court considered two cases, on each of which the journalist was fined 30 basic units under Article 22.9 of the Code of Administrative Offenses, “illegal production and distribution of media products”. Testimony on the first case was given by businesswoman Sviatlana Pashaliuk, on the second – by social activist Alena Kakhovich.
Sviatlana Pashaliuk confirmed that she had been visited by the KGB officers who had questioned hear and given all information, including name and surname, on the basis of which she concluded that I had committed an offense against her. The other witness, Alena Kakhovich, confirmed that she had also been visited by a KGB officer, who had asked her to sign a report of administrative offense, composed by the local police inspector. The witness confirmed meeting with me and knowing me, but rejected the fact of the interview.

Print-outs from the website of the Belarusian Radio “Racyja” with indication of the materials referred to by the accusation were attached to the case. On the basis of all this it was concluded that I had illegally produced and disseminated information,” commented Alina Litvinchuk.

After the announcement of the verdict, the journalist filed a statement, noting that she considered the verdict unfair and violating her rights under the national and international legislation including the Constitution and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. She also noted that she considered the case politically motivated.

Civil society activists and representatives of political parties came to the trial to support Alina Litvinchuk. The trial lasted all day, having started at 10 a.m. and lasting until 4.30 p.m.