Dzmitry Dashkevich complains about the conditions in the center for the isolation of offenders in Akrestsin Street
On 11 November the co-chairman of the “Young Front" Dzmitry Dashkevich complained to the prosecutor of Minsk. Dashkevich asks to check whether the conditions of detention comply with the standards in the Center for isolation of offenders in Akrestsin Street.
Here are the things Mr. Dashkevich complains about:
* He asks to check whether the conditions of detention in the Center for isolation of offenders in Akrestsin Street comply with the general standards.
• At present, the detainees who are taken to court, receive no food until the next day. However, after their release they have to pay for this prisoner issue invoices for meals.
• In the daytime the windows of the cells are covered so that there is twilight. Only at 10 p.m., when the "night" light bulb is switched on, one can read. "If the Ministry of Interior has a lack of light bulbs , I offer to sacrifice a package of them to the Center for isolation of offenders. Please let me know if I should do it," stated Dzmitry Dashkevich in his complaint.
• The windows in the cells are never opened, being welded. A man who does not smoke cannot bear the air in the room that is not ventilated. "I suggest that either the windows be unwelded so that one could open them, or be just blocked with bricks. Anyway, the light doesn't pass through them,” argues Dzmitry Dashkevich in his complaint.
• In many cells cold and even hot water flows in faucets and toilets. This is happening despite the declaration of a year of saving,” said the activist. "It would be logical if the Ministry of Interior stopped saving means on food and light bulbs, and repaired the water bouls and toilet sinks in which cubic meters of water pur for some unknown reason".
"In fact, the conditions in any of the Belarusian jail are inhuman", he said in an interview with Radio “Liberty”.
At the same time, he states that the situation can be changed: previously, there were no forks and mattresses in the center for the isolation of offenders in Akrestsin Street, and the food was served on aluminium plates, whereas now forks, spoons and plastic plates are issued. He says that writing complaints is necessary to achieve any changes.
“We are all outraged, but you need to spend 30 minutes to write a complaint. There will be some results anyway,” says Dzmitry Dashkevich.