Endless interrogations

2011 2011-02-14T17:15:43+0200 1970-01-01T03:00:00+0300 en The Human Rights Center “Viasna” The Human Rights Center “Viasna”
The Human Rights Center “Viasna”

On 14 February an investigator of the military counter-intelligence phoned to a human rights activist Nasta Loika. He refused to introduce himself and said that he could show his ID during their meeting. He tried to invite her for a 'talk'. However, Nasta answered that she refused to come to him without receiving an official writ. After this the investigator tried to specify her address, she asked that the investigation had all possibilities to find it on their own. After this the counter-intelligence officer promised to soon her a writ soon.

Earlier Nasta was interrogated as a witness in the 'mass riot case' by KGB investigators Baryseivich and Svistun. Two weeks ago she also received a telephone call from the preliminary investigation department of the main police bureau of the Minsk City Executive Committee Dashchynski. He also insisted on Nasta's coming for a 'talk' and even threatened her.

On 14 February Heorhi Lepin, 80-year-old professor detained at the protest action on 19 December 2010 in Minsk and fined 1,050,000 rubles (about $350), received a telephone invitation to come for an interrogation at the Kastrychintski District Police Department of Minsk.

On 11 February officers of the criminal search department paid a visit to the parents of Mikita Krasnou, but the parents didn't open the door to them. Mikita Krasnou is a former leader of a democratic organization Maladaya Belarus and a leader of the Citizen campaign. He collected signatures in support of the candidacy of Aliaksei Mikhalevich during the presidential election 2010, and composed a number of complaints against violations of the electoral legislation by members of the electoral team of Aliaksandr Lukashenka.

Despite the fact that Mikita Krasnou didn't take an active part in the protest action of 19 December, the three possible places of his residence were searched after the action. At present he is also one of the suspects in the criminal case instigated on Article 293, 'mass riot' in connection with the protest action.  This status was indicated in the search warrant presented by KGB officers on 27 December, but by that time Mikita has already left the country.

A KGB investigator phoned to Tatsiana Shambalava, an electioneering agent of Vital Rymasheuski, in order to pass her a writ for an interrogation. However, she offered him to mail the writ. Nevertheless, he insisted on coming to her place and passing the writ in person. Tatsiana Shambalava was detained during the protest action of 19 December and sentenced to 10-day arrest. She kept a hunger-strike during the whole term of the arrest. After her release from the detention facility in Akrestsin Street, the activist appealed the demand of the prison administration to pay for the cost of her stay there. However, the appeal was considered in her absence. As the girl learned from the court answer, she needed to pay the money to the prison administration, because she 'received meals three times a day at the cost of the state'.

In Mazyr, three activists were summoned for interrogation as witnesses in the ‘mass riot’ case. In particular, Ales Kavalchuk, an electioneering agent of Vital Rymasheuski, was interrogated on 11 February. Ryhor Kryvitski, the head of the Mazyr branch of Andrei Sannikau’s electoral team, was interrogated on 14 February. A writ for interrogation was also submitted to a human rights defender Uladzimir Tseliapun. The writ was signed by KGB officer V.Prykhodzka. However, most probably the interrogation of Mr. Tseliapun will be postponed as he is in hospital now.