Interrogations go on...

2011 2011-02-10T17:10:52+0200 1970-01-01T03:00:00+0300 en The Human Rights Center “Viasna” The Human Rights Center “Viasna”
The Human Rights Center “Viasna”

At about 3.45 p.m. on 9 February an activist of the Young Front was summonsed to the dean's office of the physical faculty of Belarusian State University. In some time KGB officers came there and took him to the KGB department, for the sixth interrogation as a witness in the 'mass riot' criminal case. Bear in mind that on 6 January he was taken for an interrogation from the university as well, and was imprisoned for 12 days after it.

The interrogation was conducted by investigator Bychak who also interrogated Nadzeya Krapivina, the wife of Ales Kirkevich, that day.

'The interrogation lasted for two hours, that's why I missed two interesting lectures at the university. However, I hope I won't have troubles at the place of study no more. I passed the winter exams during the winter session – thanks to those who passed me the textbook in quantum mechanics while I was in prison. With God's help, I will receive a scholarship during this semester. Of course, I want to graduate from my alma mater in my fatherland,' commented the activist.

Aliaksandr Papko, a journalist of the Belarusian service of the Polish Radio, is a witness in the 'mass riot' criminal case. He was informed about it on Monday by officers of the Main Bureau of Organized Crime Detection. They came to him, took his fingerprints, make several photos. In the beginning of the talk they showed him his telephone number and asked whether it was his number or not. Then they asked what he had been doing in the center of Minsk on 19 December.

'They shot me with a digital photo camera and asked simple questions such as what was my name, what was the date and place of my birth, etc.' said the journalist.

A former member of the Young Front Yaraslau Hryshchenia received a writ from the Baranavichy KGB Department. During the electoral campaign he actively participated in the electoral campaign of Mikalai Statkevich.
Earlier a KGB officer phoned to the activist and asked when he would come to Baranavichy. Yaraslau refused to meet with him without receiving an official writ, which was passed as soon as the activist came home.

Volha Niakliayeva, the wife of the presidential candidate Uladzimir Nikliayeu, received a telephone invitation to come to the KGB for an interrogation at 9.30 a.m. on 11 February. She was told that she was summonsed for an interrogation as a witness and the writ would be presented to her right at the KGB department. The KGB officer didn't inform the woman on which case she was to testify.

However, most probably it concerns the events of 19 December. Volha may also be asked about the circumstances of the beating of Uladzimir Niakliayeu in the evening of 19 December, right before the protest action. According to may eye-witnesses, he could be beaten by special-purpose troops, such as Almaz.