Harassment of civil activists for action of solidarity with Georgia is going on

2008 2008-08-13T20:51:36+0300 1970-01-01T03:00:00+0300 en The Human Rights Center “Viasna” The Human Rights Center “Viasna”
The Human Rights Center “Viasna”

An enquiry has been made by a prosecutor in the case of a member of Salihorsk branch of the Young Front Illia Shyla.

The enquiry is made relating to the alleged fact of beating up a policeman during a protest rally in support of Georgia in front of the Russian Embassy on 11 August.

The documents have been sent to the prosecutor’s office. But it is difficult to imagine how handcuffed Illia Shyla could resist to policemen (the photos show how he was detained).

As we have informed, Illia Shyla was one of the detainees on Monday rally in support of Georgia. A report for unsanctioned picketing was drawn up against him. The report is to be studied by the commission on juvenile affairs in Salihorsk.

As we have informed, Liudmila Atakulava, a Young Front activist, has been sentenced to 10 days of administrative arrest for participation in a rally near the Russian Embassy on 11 August.

The decision has been passed by the court of Tsentralny district in Minsk. Atakulava was charged with violation of rules of holding mass events (Article 23.34 of the Administrative Code).

The rally of solidarity with Georgia was held by the Young Front near the Russian Embassy in Minsk on 11 August. 15 activists of the organization gathered near the Embassy with streamers: ‘Stop aggression’, ‘Russia-Georgia: war with peacekeeping goals?’ ‘One sixth part of land – is it not enough?’

Participants of the rally managed to pass the petition to officers of the embassy. The picket lasted for about 10 minutes. Then policemen arrived. Illia and Ivan Shyla, Andrei Tychyna and Liudvisia Atakulava were detained. Activists were detained brutally. Policemen had machine-guns, they were wringing hands of the activists. As a sign of protest, activists sat on the ground. As a result, policemen were to carry the activists to the police car in arms. The Young Front activists were taken to the police department of Tsentralny district of Minsk.