Beating Up Of Komsomolskaya Pravda Journalist Case Investigated Again

2006 2006-07-18T10:00:00+0300 1970-01-01T03:00:00+0300 en The Human Rights Center “Viasna” The Human Rights Center “Viasna”
The Human Rights Center “Viasna”

The Prosecutors office of Minsk has cancelled a decree to suspend preliminary investigation of a slaughter case in which a journalist of the Komsomolskaya Pravda In Belarus Aleh Ulevich was injured. As the letter of the head of supervisory department of the prosecutors office reads, it has been done in connection with incompleteness of the investigation and a necessity to carry out additional investigation. The files of the criminal case have been sent to the department of investigation of the Central Administration of Interior Affairs of the Minsk City Executive Committee.

As we have informed, the incident took place on March 2, 2006 near the police department of Kastrychnitski district of Minsk, where a candidate4 for presidency Alyaksandr Kazulin was taken. Kazulin was detained on that day while he wanted to register as a delegate of the All-Belarusian Peoples Assembly.

As said by the journalist, he was delivered a face blow at the moment when he was filming the process of detention of Kazulins supporters near the police department of Kastrychnitski district of Minsk. I was blown in the face, than dragged to the bus, and I was delivered blows on kidney. These actions were made by people in mufti, Ulevich said.

The Interior Ministry checked information of implication of policemen in the battery of a journalist. A criminal case had been brought up for violation of the Article 149 Part 1 of the Criminal Code Intentional infliction of serious bodily injury. However nobody has been brought to account. The preliminary inquiry department of the Chief Interior Department of Minsk City Executive Committee, has suspended the case.

The journalist addressed the prosecutor of Minsk Mikalay Kulik and challenged the ruling of the preliminary inquiry department of the Chief Interior Department of Minsk City Executive Committee. The journalist was told that the case had been suspended as a person accountable for the crime had not been identified. Mr. Ulevich noted that about 30 policemen were witnesses of the crime. Three of them were carrying out an operative video filming. About 20 citizens were standing nearby. To my mind, the investigation has not worked out all possibilities for identifying the culprits and bringing the hooligans to justice.
Source: www.charter97.org

слухаць Радыё рацыя Міжнародная федэрацыя правоў чалавека Беларуская Інтэрнэт-Бібліятэка КАМУНІКАТ Грамадзкі вэб-архіў ВЫТОКІ Антидискриминационный центр АДЦ 'Мемориал' Prava-BY.info Беларускі Праўны Партал Межрегиональная правозащитная группа - Воронеж/Черноземье
Московская Хельсинкская группа
Молодежное Правозащитное Движение
amnesty international