Three More People Joined Hunger Strike In Brest
Three people joined the hunger strike of taxi-cabs owners on July 10. The strikers protest against republican payment for import of transport with commercial aims. Lubou Rezanovich, one of action participants, said that they informed Brest regional executive committee about the hunger strike. we hope we will be heard. We are not against the authorities we just defend our rights and we will stand till the end as those obligations we have to pay ruin our business.
She also noted that the condition of protesters grew worse for last days. In her interview to BelaPAN Rezanovich said: We got the license for entrepreneurship long time before the decree, we addressed the tax inspection with a request to explain the decree nuances. We were assured that the decree doesnt affect the cars imported before 2004. But last year we started to receive documents demanding from us to pay not only the republican payment but also fines that reach 80 mln BYR. Our protest action is not against the decree but against misinterpretation of it.
It is the second hunger strike of the taxi owners. The first one was sin September 2005. Local authorities promised to solve the problem but the entrepreneurs continued to receive the bills to pay. On July 11 two more people intend to join the hunger strike.