CEC Finishes Complaint Consideration
On September 29 the Central Election Commission finished consideration of complaints against non-registration of candidates. The Commission considered 5 appeals postponed for different reasons till September 29.
The following appeals were satisfied:
1. The appeal of Zinaida Bandarenka (United Civic Party, Honored Artist of Belarus). Zinaida Bandarenka runs in Smarhon election district # 61. She was denied registration on the ground of “violation of nomination procedure by a party congress”. On 25 September the district commission chairperson stated at a CEC session that the 8th extra-ordinary congress of the party had been recognized illegitimate. The chairperson presented a fax message from the Justice Ministry which confirmed the information. However, it turned out that, according to the Ministry’s check-up, UCP had really violated the procedure of candidate nomination, but this was not a sufficient ground to consider the congress illegitimate.
2. The appeal of Yawhen Labanovich (United Civic Party). Yawhen Labanovich runs in Yaseninskaya election district # 101. He was denied registration on the ground of “violation of nomination procedure by the party congress”, and distribution of promotion materials during the signature collection period. CEC ruled to register Yawhen Labanovich, but warned him for distribution of leaflets. One of the leaflets was found by CEC secretary Mikalai Lazavik in his mailbox.
3. Siarhei Yarmak (The Party of National Consent). He runs in Homel-Yubileynaya district. He was denied registration because of problems with the registered address of residence. The appeal is satisfied in connection with the ruling of the Supreme Court.
4. Uladzimir Shokaw, running in Staravilenskaya election district # 105. The appeal is satisfied in connection with the ruling of the Supreme Court.
1. The appeal of Alexander Vasilyew (deputy chairperson of the National Strike Committee of Entrepreneurs). He ran in Hrodna-Zaniomanski election district # 61. The appeal was not considered because the applicant missed the term for appealing. A. Vasilyew is kept in Hrodna prison. He is sentenced to 2 years of imprisonment for “public insult of the President”.